Robert deT. Lawrence, IV
Robert deT. Lawrence, IV Firm founder Robert deT. Lawrence, IV likes to remind people that he started as a country Lawyer and remains so at heart. When he first started out, he had an open-door practice helping every client that walked into his office. As the firm has grown, others at Walker Jones have taken on practices such as criminal, domestic relations, and litigation work, allowing Mr. Lawrence to concentrate on estate planning and trust administration, and the related property law work.
A recent advertisement for a local fox hunt reads, Country Lawyer: A View From Carter Hall. Supporter of Agriculture, Hunting, Land Conservation. Legal counsel to farms and farmers, stables and horsemen, riders and commuters since 1969.
Mr. Lawrence does pre- and post-death estate planning for individuals and entire families. He works with people to avoid paying unnecessary expenses and taxes. And, by reducing uncertainty, stress on their families who have recently lost a loved one is minimized.
He helps families navigate the legal process, and advises and serves as estate and trust administrators., Over the years, he has discovered that when the process has a definite sense of direction, and the parties feel a firm hand at the controls, most will go along for the ride when they see the train leaving the station. Mr. Lawrence believes that the key to making the train run, and run on time, is helping people to understand the process and know they are involved. Feeling excluded makes people suspicious and uncooperative.
When he is not in the office, Mr. Lawrence and his wife Blair enjoy community activities. He especially enjoys his farm, inherited from his family who owned the land since before the war. Mr. Lawrence relishes the time he spends there with its future owners, his sons.
- University of Georgia, J.D., 1969
- University of Virginia, Bachelors of Arts, 1966
Professional, Civic & Philanthropic Affiliations
- Past President of the Fauquier County Bar Association
- Former Member of the Virginia State Bar Council, and current member of the Bar’s Trusts & Estates Section
- Commissioner in Chancery for Fauquier and Rappahannock Counties
- Assistant Commissioner of Accounts for Rappahannock County
- Volunteer Neutral Case Evaluator for the Fauquier County Circuit Court
- Grace Episcopal Church
- Member of the Virginia Board of Directors of the American Chestnut Foundation
- Rockley Foundation
- Society of the Cincinnati
- Jamestowne Society
- Mayflower Society
- Sons of Confederate Veterans