Choosing a Virginia Divorce Attorney
- Posted on: Sep 18 2018
Although almost everyone who chooses to get married hopes that it will last forever, many marriages, unfortunately, don’t last. In fact, approximately half of all marriages end in divorce. And for those individuals facing divorce, legal representation is imperative. Without an experienced Virginia divorce attorney on your side, it’s quite possible that you’ll end up with the short end of the stick once your divorce has been finalized. Below are some tips on how to choose a divorce attorney in Virginia.
- Do your research – Before you choose an attorney in Virginia, it is necessary to research potential candidates. Research can include a variety of tasks, including checking prospective attorneys’ backgrounds, reading reviews, and asking others for recommendations.
- Meet with attorneys – After compiling a list of candidates, you should meet with every attorney you are considering. Take this time to ask your prospective attorneys questions, such as:
(1) Is family law one of your primary practice areas?
(2) How much do you charge?
(3) What is your fee arrangement?
(4) How long have you been practicing law?
(5) How long have you been practicing family law?
(6) Have you ever handled a case similar to mine?
In addition, you can use these meetings to judge how comfortable you feel with each attorney. You will probably be working with this person for a long time, so it’s important to ensure that the two of you have a good rapport.
- Avoid attorneys who make big promises – No attorney can guarantee a specific result. Therefore, if you meet with an attorney who promises that your case will have a particular outcome, you should look elsewhere. However, one way to assess the likelihood of success in your case is by asking potential attorneys about their past results. Attorneys with good track records in the area of family law give you the best chance at a successful outcome in your Virginia divorce.
In Virginia, divorce is a complicated matter, and mistakes during the process can be costly. Therefore, if you are considering a divorce in Virginia, please contact the experienced Virginia family law attorneys at Walker Jones, PC, as soon as possible. With offices in Warrenton, Virginia, and Washington, Virginia, Walker Jones, PC, is available to handle all of your Northern Virginia family law needs. Whether you are seeking an absolute divorce, a qualified divorce, or you just need general family law advice, our award-winning attorneys will give your case the personal and professional attention that it deserves. At Walker Jones, PC, we utilize our experience and knowledge while vigorously pursuing your case in the courtroom, at the settlement table, or in negotiations. Regardless of your situation, our goal is always to achieve the best result possible. If you need family law assistance in Virginia, please contact us today to schedule a private consultation.
Posted in: Family Law